*Note- RCA version is pictured.
Given the extremely fragile nature of the phono signal, every effort must be pursued in order to preserve the integrity of that signal throughout the signal path. One area where the signal can suffer significant damage and loss is in the phono cable. Cartridge output levels are quite low, typically in the 3-5 millivolt range and often as low as 100 microvolts. Our use of continuous cast high-purity copper as well as low loss cable geometry preserves the purity of this low level signal. Consumers often choose a phono cable based upon brand recognition alone. However, such a choice can inadvertently compromise a phono playback system due to mismatched impedance characteristics between cartridge and cable.
Audience has conducted considerable research into the electrical characteristics of phono cables and has concluded that a single cable cannot possibly serve as an optimal tone arm to phono stage interface. The different internal electrical characteristics of phono cartridges make choosing a cable designed to preserve and enhance those characteristics an all important issue. By choosing the wrong cable you can lose precious low level detail information that is essential to the overall sonic presentation.
For these reasons, Audience offers vinyl lovers a choice of three impedance-matched phono cables. Each model is designed to carefully optimize the electrical characteristics of the cartridge to the cable and to preserve signal flow to the phono stage without detrimental influences as follows:
• Low Z – for moving coil cartridges with internal resistance up to 30 ohms.
• High Z – for moving coil cartridges with internal resistance between 30 and 100 ohms.
• MM – for all cartridges with internal resistance above 100 ohms which includes moving coil cartridges rated at 47k ohms and most moving magnet or moving iron models.
Additionally, the thousands of crystalline barriers present in all conventional copper wire requires energy to pass from one barrier to the next. This energy, which is part of the signal becomes lost in this process. When dealing with ultra low level signals, particularly in phono cables, these harmful crystal barriers are significant impediments to the transmission of critical musical information. For this reason all Audience phono cables are constructed using the highest purity oxygen free continuous cast copper.
1. Au24 SE Low Z Phono Cable - designed for low output moving coil cartridges with less than 30 ohms internal resistance. It offers the vinyl lover an optimized signal path to the phono stage without compromising the delicate phono level signal.
2. Au24 SE High Z Phono Cable - designed for low output moving coil cartridges with more than 30 ohms internal resistance. If offers the vinyl love an optimized signal path to the phono stage without compromising the delicate phono level signal.
3. Au24 SE MM Phono Cable - designed to provide a high-performance low capacitance (30 pf/m) and low distortion signal path for your moving magnet, moving iron or high output moving coil cartridge.